Monday, March 10, 2008

Classic Albums

To wake up on the way to work in the morning I often put in AC/DC Back in Black. That is one of two albums that I know back to front - the other is Boston. Back in Black is just a totally classic album all the way through beginning with Hells Bells and all the way through to Rock and Roll 'Aint Noise Pollution. My favorite tracks are You Shook Me All Night Long and Givin' the Dog a Bone. The only indication that this album is not fresh is the hiss even on the CD since it was released in 1980 and has (gasp) an analog recording vs. digital!

The Boston album is one I bought about 20 years ago (I was in college then - eek) and I played that thing to death. Even though that album was already 12 years old then (released in 1976) it still seemed fresh. It begins with one of my all time favorites - More than a Feelin', and ends on a really high note with Let Me Take You Home Tonight.

Another classic album that I love is Van Halen II. It does not have quite the same appeal as the other two as with Back in Black and Boston I just play it start to finish and know all the words and all the hooks. However, Van Halen II has a few favorites like Dance the Night Away, Somebody Get Me a Doctor, D.O.A (Dead or Alive), and Beautiful Girls. The original Van Halen release is good too, but I prefer Van Halen II as I never ever get tired of Dance the Night Away. I just wish it was longer than 2 1/2 minutes!

6 comments:

Chuck said...

BnB was (still) one of those songs that can change my mood.

Martha said...

Yeah. I remember one time I had a bad day and I blasted that CD on the way home and felt tons better afterwards.

Steve said...

I heard BnB on the radio the other day. Takes me back.

Not to mix genres, but Clint Black's song "State of Mind" has a line in it that probably sums this up for us all:

"Ain't it funny how a melody, can bring back a memory?
Take you to another place in time, completely change your state of mind."

I remember jamming to "More than a feeling" back in college riding in Blake Gordon's Mustang with some of the boys--George and Alan, I believe you were there, right? Todd, were you there, too?

I have most of the Police albums memorized front to back. Early Van Halen is always a classic.

George said...

I was never a big Boston fan, but I remember some of my dorm-mates getting that Boston album and playing it ALL THE TIME. If I hear "Amanda" or some of those other songs now, I'm immediately time-warped back to the late '80's. Great times.

One of my all time favorite rock-out albums has to be "Moving Pictures" by Rush. It has Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, YYZ, Limelight, etc. Ans Subdivisions from their Signals album is perhaps the fattest synth sound ever. That's some sweet head banging fodder for those with discriminating musical taste.

Martha said...

I love Rush - I have a compilation CD in my car right now and my favorites are New World Man and Subdivisions!!! I remember New World Man being an MTV play (in those early, early MTV days) and wondering what in the world was that. It was about 10 years to early for me as when I 'discovered' Rush in about '91 or '92, I really loved it.

I remember when that Third Stage Boston album came out (freshman year of college - fall of '86) and even then knowing that it was not as good as the first release. I mean, Amanda was good, but nothing compares to the first Album.

And yesterday, I replaced my 'scratched' up Van Halen II with a new one and it has been digitally remastered so I picked it up at Best Buy on the way home and jammed: 'But just watch that lady go - she's on fire 'cause dancin' gets her higher than anything else she know woo woos - Ooh baby baby won't you turn your head my way' Ok, sorry I'm getting carried away with this and my Starbucks this morning!

Todd R. Vick said...

Great post, Mot! I never knew you were a headbanger! Cool! BnB is still a regular in my CD player, and there is nothing like reding with the windows down on a day like today with "More Than A Feeling" blaring out the windows.