Sunday, March 15, 2009

Five Points Fun - Happy St. Patrick’s Day!




So we decided to brave the chilly temps yesterday and go to Columbia as planned for the St. Patty’s Day festival in 5 points. We were fortunate to not have rain, just a little mist at times. Had so much fun, saw several people I knew, drank some Harp draft beer, Jim had Guinness, listened to some cool music, ate some good food, and just blew off some steam. I don’t normally sleep late, but I woke up just before 9 this morning! We stayed at the Inn at USC which was great because we were able to check in around 12:30, park the car, and walk to 5 points.

It is always nostalgic to walk through campus. Went by the College of Business - which was my second home since I worked in that building and most of my classes the last two years were there, and also by Capstone where I lived just across the street. My dorm room my senior year was a corner room on the front of the building on the 3rd floor. I lived on the side facing Columbia Hall my junior year in ‘88 - ‘89, and lived on the 3rd floor my senior year. I can’t believe this time 20 years ago I was finishing my junior year. Scary.

Anyway, had a great time seeing some fun landmarks - Jungle Jim’s, Capstone, the College of Business, the Fountain, Yesterday’s, Goatfeathers, Village Idiot Pizza, Sharky’s, Group, and an assortment of bars whose names have changed over the years. It really makes me miss Columbia when I go for things like that and see all kinds of people I know. I always look forward to the bands, people, and beer trucks too!

4 comments:

Chuck said...

I love going back to USC. Sounded like you guys had a great time!

Martha said...

We did - I always have fun in 5 points! When I walk or drive through campus, I miss it! I loved being there. I see Preston and think about my dad because he lived there and played intra-mural football on the field across the street (where the library is now). My dad and Dick Sheridan and his other friends were the independent team that beat all the Fraternity football teams!

Steve said...

Group therapy. I remember Jager shots and sticking to the floor in there! What a great bar!

Martha said...

Group was definitely a late nite bar. My favs after I graduated were Pugs and Nightworks. When I was in college, Crazy Zacks was the best place to go. I went there a lot when I was a sophomore and junior and that was my favorite until they closed. Too many underage drinkers - hmmmm you do the math!