Sunday, December 30, 2007

Channel surfing can be dangerous

Ok, so last night I'm watching the Alamo bowl and the Pats/Giants game and enjoying both. When there was a lull in the action, I started channel surfing and found the last 30 minutes of ET. Of course, I started watching since it was the end. I spent the next 30 minutes crying my eyes out. I'm trying to get over this stupid cold, and about the last thing I needed to do is cry over ET. I really started the non-stop crying when they are riding away on the bicycles and the cops are closing in so ET makes all 5 of the bikes fly. That was about 10 - 15 minutes of Martha making a mess out of herself from the bikes flying until the end of the movie!

I remember that summer of 1982 so well - I think it was one of my favorite years. ET came out and so did Star Trek II - TWOK. I cried at both of those movies. Star Trek II was what really hooked me on Star Trek. I was 13, and I had seen the first Star Trek in the theater a few years before that and had occasionally seen the show, but something really struck me in that ST II movie. Even though I was not a "Trekkie" when I went to see that movie, even I knew that Mr. Spock was not supposed to die and how awful that was. That summer, there were two stations that showed Star Trek reruns. One came on at 5 and the other one came on at 5:30. I would watch the entire one that was on at 5 and catch the last 30 minutes of the 5:30 show. I was enthralled. I loved that show like no other tv show. I became a total nerd from then on. I started 9th grade and high school that August as a bona fide trekkie. I like to think I was sort of cool, but in reality I think I was a total nerd!

The football last night was really good. I usually don't stay up until the end of the games when they last until 11:30, but the second half of that Patriots game was amazing. They came back from 28 - 16 and just turned it on in the second half. Wow. The best thing about the Alamo bowl is where it is held. San Antonio is such a cool place. I was there for 12 straight days in early May in 1996. We had such a good time and I came home in total withdrawal for Mexican food. The last week we were there, we got a good rate at the Hyatt on the Riverwalk and that made that whole trip even better. I had wrapped up the audit on a Thursday afternoon, the staff flew home, and I completed the evaluations and then mailed everything back to my office. My flight on Friday wasn't until 2 or 2:30, so I spent the morning having a leisurely breakfast and walked across the street from the Hyatt and visted the Alamo. How cool. San Antonio was the best place in Texas I ever went. I had just spent 3 weeks in Houston before going to San Antonio, and Houston was the pitts. I did not like it at all. I also went with my co-workers to Austin for the day over the weekend, and it was a neat place too. We also stopped at this little place called Greene, TX, and it was very quaint. Those 12 days in San Antonio really made that trip worthwhile.

Last night I went to bed about 11:30 after the Pats game was over. I woke up at almost 3 am, and my husband was still on that stupid World of Warcraft game. I am a World of Warcraft widow. How is it that I love sports and watching sports and I end up being a computer game widow? It is a good thing my husband likes football. If he didn't, we just could not be married. I can't believe he does not like basketball. I even took him to some Carolina games when we still lived in Columbia, because I figured he would like it more in person - no such luck. Our football season this year ended so badly. Jim doesn't want to spend the $ anymore to donate to the Gamecock club and buy season tickets. Good thing the membership and ticket privileges are in my name and I don't like being told what to do!!!!!

The only time Jim does not spend all hours on the World of Warcraft game is when he is studying for a license exam. He passed the Series 24 (Principal license) in June. This enabled him to get a better job (now he makes 65% of what I do vs. 50%) in October and he also passed his Series 53 (Mutual Securities Principal) in November just before Thanksgiving. He already has the book for the Series 4 (Options Principal), so I have a feeling that next week he is going to go back into the dreaded "study mode". I can't deal with the pressure he puts on himself and how quickly he reads and learns this stuff. I wish I had known when we were first married how smart he really is. He was in school full time after we first got married as he had been in school for 1 year between stints in the Army and wanted to finish. If I had realized exactly what he was capable of, I would not have let him change his major from Pre-Med. There were several reasons for the change, but I would have at least made him go over to the College of Business instead of majoring in History at a minimum. Actually, if I had made him stick with the medical route, he would probably be finishing Medical school in 2008. That would have been a real achievement for him and me, and we would have also achieved $100,000 or so in debt, so I guess I can't complain!!!

2 comments:

Chuck said...

Martha, I thought you were the coolest girl that I knew because you liked Star Trek! I think when Jay and I saw Shatner in Raleigh, we hosted a toast to you!

And GO PATS!

Martha said...

LOL!! Thanks for the toast and nice to know someone thought I was cool. If guys I knew thought I was cool, it was because I knew as much or more about football or other sports than they did. Of course, I began watching football at the tender age of 4 or 5 and asking questions about the rules. Yes, I guess I was a nerd even then.

I am definitely a girl, but somewhere along the way I got a taste for many things that are masculine like sports and other things :).