Monday, February 18, 2008

How a $30 oil change can equal $200

So I sent Jim to the dealership today to get the oil changed in his car. He got the tires rotated last week, and was overdue for the oil change. So he calls me after he is done and said it was $213. I said - how could an oil change have cost $213!!?? He said the service man said that it was time for the 45,000 mile service and that included filter changes, belts, fluids, etc.

While I'm sure this will all benefit the car, it could have waited until the 60,000 service when I was planning on this kind of expense. I just don't understand how my husband can get suckered into this kind of thing when I send him for a $30 oil change. Maybe my guyfriends can help me out here. I am very confused as to how this happens. Do I have to supervise his every move? I guess so. Sometimes I think I have a 35 year old child!!!

6 comments:

Chuck said...

Mot - I am thinking about posting how Cindy and I do a budget each month. Yes, my name is Chuck, and I like stuff (Hi Chuck).

This sounds like the two of you were not on the same page as to what was willing to be spent on the automobile. And then a very convincing sales guy is able to turn a 24.95 oil change up to 200.

Cindy and I were there for about 14 years until we got a clue. Hmmm. I feel a post coming....

:)

Todd R. Vick said...

Ease up, Mot. At least the care got serviced!

Just kidding. I know what you mean. My wife sometimes goes to the grocery store to get "a couple of things" and will drop $200 before she knows what hit her.

Martha said...

I just wish he would have discussed it first. I think it was that surprise factor - I thought he would be spending $30 and I find out it's $213. I'm sure if he called and told me first I would have been ok with it but it's one of those goofy things!

Steve said...

Sounds like the classic dealership bait and switch. I've taken cars into dealerships before and had a $15 part plus labor turn into a $900 bill that included lots of crap I didn't need. I've also been taken by a small mom and pop place, only to be saved by a dealership who solved the problem relatively cheap. You never can tell.

I'm a big fan of changing my on oil. Takes 15 minutes and you know exactly what you're getting. Then you just dump the used oil in the corner of your backyard--just kidding.

Todd R. Vick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Todd R. Vick said...

I'm with Steve. Anything you can do for yourself on your vehicle is a money-saver. I recently replaced my heater core. Mechanic wanted $600. I did it myself for $35.00. And then I let out a big, "Hoo-ahh" when I was finished.