Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Forty years ago - gasp!

Forty years ago today – January 20, 1969, my mother said she was watching the inauguration of Richard Nixon and wondering when I would arrive. This was my original due date, so I guess I got a 7 day reprieve on turning 40 this year! Forty years ago today it was also exactly six months before man first walked on the moon. I witnessed it (I’m told) though I obviously do not remember it. My mom said she woke me from a nap and put me in front of the TV so that I could “watch” it with my parents.

I guess I was stubborn then too in not conforming to the due date that had been assigned. I see that was a harbinger of the way I would turn out.

Well, we only got a light dusting at my house overnight – actually it was more of a heavy frost instead of any real snow. But that is ok with me since I needed to come into the office today and was glad that the road conditions were nothing more than a small rain event. If my Grandmother were alive, she would tell me that today would remind her of the day I was born, cold, cloudy, and with flurries!

I really do miss my Grandma. She would have been 100 last year. That is just so hard to fathom that she lived 98 ½ years. I know that there were a couple of times I think she was just too stubborn to die even though she was very sick. My great-great grandmother even lived to be 73 (she died in 1923), and my great-grandmother lived to be a month shy of 80 and died in 1959. I have a feeling these ladies were stubborn too based on things I learned from my mom and Grandma.

At least it’s a week before my birthday and I’m not crying about it. That's a good sign.

No comments: