Friday, November 14, 2008

Darius Rucker - Hootie went Country

I didn't realize Darius Rucker had cut a country album until the other night when the CMAs were on TV and he peformed his song on the show.

I remember this time 20 years ago when Hootie and the Blowfish played our band party that fall of 1988 - I still have my Kappa t-shirt from that party! They were the favorite band on campus and it was so much fun to see them hit the big time in 1994.

When they played a show from the USC Horseshoe in April of 1996, I watched it live on TV from my hotel in Houston wishing I was there in person to see them.

And of course, this is another one of those bittersweet types of country songs that kill me everytime. That Rascal Flatts song about "What hurts the most" with those tight harmonies cuts to the quick even more. Just what I need for a rainy Friday - not.

2 comments:

Chuck said...

Mot - I was stationed in Okinawa, Japan, leaving church listening to American Top 40. When Hootie was introduced, I just about fell out. They had made it big time. Their first album is still my favorite.

Martha said...

We were at Myrtle Beach for Memorial Day weekend in 1994, and we drove by this club called the Purple Gator. Hootie and the Blowfish were on the marquee and were playing shows. I wanted to go, but no one else did and said we can see them anytime. Later that fall they were on Letterman and I didn't see them locally again. That was the coolest thing in the whole world to see them on Letterman and to hear their stuff on the radio!