Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Football

Had a GREAT time at the USC game on Saturday as that is the only game I went to this year. I hated to give up the season tickets, but it is very tiring, time consuming, and expensive to go to Columbia every weekend for a tailgate. The good news is that we saw a really good game, and we still managed to get home and see most of the second half of the Alabama/LSU game. That was some great football. Texas Tech is also a very exciting team to watch, we saw the end of the Penn State vs. Iowa game, and it was a great thrill to see Clemson lose yet another one.

This week, we are on the kiss of death game, also known as the SEC game of the week as we play Florida. I didn’t realize we have lost every one of these games we’ve been on at 3:30 on CBS until they made that astute observation at the beginning of this year’s Georgia game. We have much better luck on ESPN or ESPN2 for some reason. I attended the hottest game in 20 years when I went to the USC v. Alabama game in Columbia in September 2005. That was also an SEC game of the week and was a horribly hot day and a horrible game. The only other game where I was hotter was the Georgia game in early September 1988. That was a 1 pm kickoff and people were passing out right and left during the game. The only thing we wanted to do after that game was go back to the dorm and shower. The good thing was that we beat Georgia that day, unlike the Alabama game where we lost badly.

Speaking of football, I enjoy it so much and am so sad when this time of year comes around. It does not seem possible that we are past mid-season and are winding down. The worst thing that happens is when Christmas and New Year’s are upon us as that marks the end of college football. Depressing. I actually watched some pro football this past weekend – more so than I have all year. It’s just not the same, but I watch it in January as it is the only football left. After that, I’m at the mercy of the ESPNU or ESPN classic channel to get my college football fix.

3 comments:

Chuck said...

First off, Mott, love the new profile picture.

Next, I was just telling a friend yesterday how quick football season went by. Once college is done, I start paying attention to pro football. Perhaps I should give basketball a shot (no pun intended).

I have been quoting the CBS - 3:30 jinx to as many people who will listen. I picked that up also during one of the games this year (Georgia).

The bad part is that I have to leave for a double date. So I will watch the rest of the game when I get home.

Martha said...

Hey! Thank you :). Camera phones are wonderful things! I've been needing a new pic as the other one was taken this time last year, and well, I think my face is thinner now (hopefully).

I like college basketball, but it's just not the same thing.

I have a feeling that when you come home, the game may be pretty much over. Who knows what Spurrier has planned. And football is a funny sport - there are certain games that teams don't get up for and certain ones they do get up for. Emotion counts for a lot in football, so it will be interesting to see.

Chuck said...

I had to record the entire Tennessee game and watch it that night. What a really fun game!

I am not expecting much, but I hope we can "show up." If we pull of an upset, sweet...but FL is pretty impressive.