Friday, April 18, 2008

Flat tires and frustrated husbands are not fun

Yesterday on the way to work, I heard this weird noise while driving and noticed it slowed when the car slowed. I wasn't sure what it was and almost as soon as it started it quit and I heard something ping underneath the car. I figured it was a rock. So I got to the car about 5:45 yesterday afternoon in the garage, and I had a very flat front right tire :(.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find anyone to help and was going to call and pay someone when Jim said no he would come to do it. So Jim drove from Lake Wylie to downtown Charlotte (about 20 miles) and got to the garage around 6:30. He was not a happy camper and made me watch while he changed the tire and told me what he was doing and how to do it. Then, the spare probably only had about 10 lbs. of air pressure in it, so Jim followed me to a nearby gas station and pumped up the spare so I could make it home.

The good news is the tire was very fixable as I took it first thing this morning to get repaired and they fixed it for free (more free stuff!). It had a good hole in it but whatever caused it was no longer in the tire as we found when Jim took it off. The other news is that Jim is going to make me learn and practice how to change a tire one weekend here soon. I think I would rather just join AAA to be on the safe side!!!

The only good thing about the afternoon is that by the time we got back home, we went straight to the hot tub and ended the evening on a high note!

5 comments:

Chuck said...

You were lucky. Most of my flats seem to be of the irreparable variety. I have to always remember that whenever I put air in the tires, to check the spare.

BTW...Even though he grumbled (it' s in the guy contract), you got yourself a keeper. 20 miles. My hat goes off!!

Martha said...

Yes, he is a keeper! He wasn't really that mad, just upset that his otherwise resourceful and independent wife doesn't know how to change a tire.

I was lucky that it was very fixable too since my tires are not that old!

Steve said...

You've about sold me on a hot tub. It would seem that hot tubs are the cure for most things that come at you in life.

Martha said...

You know, the hot tub is not something I would have ever gone out and bought because I generally do not buy frivolous things. However, it was really worth it to get fixed and I had no idea how much I would enjoy it. Plus, I was already having a stressful day at work on Thursday before I saw I had a flat and was thinking about how good that hot tub was going to feel!

Oh, and my husband says it's like we're dating again if you get my drift - that was an unexpected benefit!

James said...

Join the AAA. Dead battery, flat tire, locked out of your car, out of gas... it's all covered!