Sunday, April 6, 2008

Masters Week

The amazing thing about the final four this weekend is that it will be followed by an even better weekend coming up with The Masters. When I was in Aiken working for a day during Masters week in 1993, I was listening to the local radio station that had 'oldies' hour at lunchtime. They played this song called "Augusta" and I immediately recognized the music as that used by CBS as the theme on their Masters broadcast. Imagine my surprise after hearing this tune countless times to learn that there are words to this song and they are wonderful. I finally got a music file with the original song a few years ago and will try to figure out how to post the link (if any of my blogger friends can help me with this I would appreciate instructions!).

I will enjoy the tournament although nothing can top my favorite Masters - 1986 when Jack Nicklaus won his 6th green jacket at the age of 46. My dad and I were glued to the tv that afternoon watching the golfer I grew up on, Jack Nicklaus, win with an incredible back 9 on Sunday at the Masters. It was also the springtime just before I graduated high school - wow I can't believe how long it's been as it seems like just yesterday. I have two Master's specials permanently saved on my DVR and they both highlight the 1986 Masters. My husband likes Tiger's amazing play and record breaking, but he will never be the best from where I sit. Jack Nicklaus will always be my #1 favorite and NOBODY beats my man Jack.

Well, it's springtime in the valley on Magnolia Lane;

It's the Augusta National and the master
of the game.

Who'll wear that green coat on Sunday
afternoon?

Who'll walk that 18th fairway singing
this tune?

Augusta, your dogwoods and pines,
they play on my mind like a song.

Augusta, it's you that I love,
it's you that I miss when I'm gone

Well, it's Watson, Byron Nelson,
and Demaret, and Player and Snead,

And it's Amen Corner,
and it's Hogan's perfect swing;

It's Sarazen's double eagle
at the 15th in '35,

And the spirit of Clifford Roberts
that keeps it alive.

Augusta, your dogwoods and pines,
they play on my mind like a song.

Augusta, it's you that I love, it's you that I miss when I'm gone.

It's the legions of Arnie's Army and the Golden Bear's
throng, Wooden-shafted legend, Bobby Jones.

3 comments:

Rick said...

I like golf, have watched more than my fair share, but it's as boring as a rock most of the time. At least the Masters is a pretty venue, especially in HD.

Martha said...

If you said soccer in that sentence I would agree - but golf is great!! I mostly watch the majors, but enjoy the other large tour events too. Soccer is like watching paint dry.

Todd R. Vick said...

I enjoy golf, and I worked in Augusta for a bit. However, I never burst into poetry over either. Well said, Mot.