Friday, March 21, 2008

Went to Columbia and experienced bad weather

St. Patty's day was fun, but abbreviated. We had a good time while we were there, but I only had 1 Killians as draft beer hits me quickly and I had not had much to eat at all before getting it. I did also have 1/2 a Yuengling as we stopped to grab a bite at a restaurant/bar on Harden St.

We left about 3:20 or so as the wind was really picking up and we figured it was probably going to rain soon. Good thing we did as by the time we got to my parents house, all hell started breaking loose with the weather. I heard the first tornado warning for Newberry county just before we got to their house and didn't realize how bad it was going to get for the area on Saturday. Fortunately, we did not have anything but heavy rain at their house as the weather report was rather vivid as to what all was going on as we watched.

I actually did pretty well all things considered as I had a very bad storm phobia that I finally got a grip on about 4 years ago. I had a very bad experience when I was little (about 5 or 6) as we made a beach trip and we were in a very bad storm and it hailed on the car - you know hail on a car makes a horrible sound and scared me very badly. My parents put the tent up in the rain that night as we had finally arrived at the beach and it turned out they had actually evacuated the campground earlier that day because of the severe weather. That phobia got worse with age and fortunately it's not nearly as bad now. I really feel for people that have panic attacks though as it is a miserable feeling.

I didn't feel too bad about having left 5 points when I read in the paper the next morning that they had to shut down the festival around 4pm because of the bad weather in the area. It was bad to see all of the destruction from the 15 or so tornadoes that occured too.

At least I got that one really good Killians and got a great draft beer buzz!!

3 comments:

Rick said...

Better weather this weekend, Martha - hope you guys have a nice Easter.

Todd R. Vick said...

After 2 or 3 Killian's, who cares about the weather?

Martha said...

Yes, it was a beautiful weekend and we had a lovely Easter. Did lots of yardwork yesterday and even used a pick axe for the first time (under husband supervison of course). I helped Jim with stump busting detail - it was fun though. He was impressed for a first time effort. I actually liked the pick axe better than the regular axe.

I did have a Coors light last Saturday after we got to mom's to make sure I took the edge off for the storm (I still get a bit nervous). That was the only beer they had.

Hope you all had a wonderful Easter!