Sunday, August 24, 2008

Sweating bullets on a Sunday morning

The gold medal basketball game was on at 2:30 this morning, so I DVR'd it so I could watch it this morning when I got up. I did not look at the news to see who won so I could watch without knowing the outcome. However, they started off the game with 2 fouls each on LeBron and Kobe, and Spain kept it pretty close the entire game and at one point they were within 2 and Kobe was shooting bricks from the 3 point line. But Kobe had some clutch 3 pointers in the last few minutes that sealed the deal.

I started to feel like the big one was coming - you know "This is the big one - Elizabeth, I'm coming to join you". Good thing that team has more composure and nerve than I do. That was a hard game to watch as I knew Spain would play much better than when I watched them last Sunday morning (and we beat them by 37). I knew it was not going to be a blowout like that but good gosh they scared me.

I don't think I've ever been so nervous watching a basketball game before. Football yes, basketball no. Speaking of football - in just 4 days we kick off with the first game of the year! ESPN here I come. USC - goooo Cocks!

2 comments:

Rick said...

I ended up seeing most of the 2nd half live - our dog wanted to go out at 3am, and I stupidly turned on the TV. They bricked alot of threes - I was wondering who put in the Vandy offense, two passes and a three. Except Vandy hits their shots. There was no defense, and if they had lost it would've been because they'd been manhandled. But Kobe started hitting, and ESP couldn't get over the hump. Good game for the Redeem/Redream/Ice Cream Team.

George said...

I did the same as Martha, except I had to avoid any info about the outcome at church before watching it back on the DVR. It was nerve-racking but very exciting. I was proud of our country and Redeam Team and filled with a sense of patriotism. Then the announcer reminded us that they are all multi-millionaires, and took some of the air out of my sails. Oh, well. U.S.A! U.S.A! U.S.A!