Tuesday, May 13, 2008

E is for East (Egypt that is)

FOr my flight out of Charlotte yesterday morning, I had to trek to the E concourse since my flight was on a small CanadaAir jet (2 seats on one side 2 on the other) and holds maybe 80 - 100 people. I like those jets as they are very comfortable and very easy to board and deplane, but I had forgotten just how far out that E concourse is from the rest of the world.

The last time i visited E concoure, I had flown into Charlotte on a red eye from LAX and had to go out to E to catch my connecting flight home to Columbia. I guess I was just so tired and didn't realize how far it was - or could it be that was 9 years ago almost and is actually something (gasp) I didn't remember.

So I made the very long trek from the main part of the airport out to E concourse and I realized the only thing worse would be to have to go down to the tram in the Atlanta airport and ride that tram to what feels like the edge of the known world. I picked Jim up in Atlanta on new years eve in 1997 when he returned from Germany after being gone almost 6 months. Going out to the international concourse that day was a long ride indeed and I thought I was riding the road to nowhere. I kind of compare it to being on the very lowest level of the USC library and realizing you are 5 floors underground and it's 11 pm and way too quiet and creepy down there.

2 comments:

Steve said...

Is that "BFE" Egypt? I've been there a few times...

Martha said...

Yes - East Egypt also know as BFE!! East is the sanitized version!!!