Monday, May 5, 2008

Target, Toasters, and Gas Milage

Last week while driving our Toyota Highlander to my sister's house, Jim and I were discussing gas milage and I remarked on how good my car was on gas even though it is 12 years old with 134,000+ miles on it. I said that I was probably getting mid to low 30's for sure. He did not believe me.

So today, I drove my car into work and as I was getting off of I-77 the fuel light came on. After work, I decided I had enough for the trip home as long as I left early enough to not have to sit in traffic. I was about on 'E' when I crossed the state line and pulled into the gas station in Lake Wylie just across the lake (SC gas is cheaper than NC gas because of state taxes so I never buy gas in NC unless absolutely necessary). I had 460 miles on that tank of gas, but I still was not sure how many gallons my tank held. I filled it up and put 13 gallons in all excited to come home and divide it out. It ended up being 35.38 or something like that - almost 35 1/2 MPG!! How exciting and was right in line with what I suspected.

Saturday, we were in Target to get a bookcase Jim just had to have (it is still sitting in the box as of 7:39 pm on Monday). While we were there, Jim started bugging me about a 4 slice toaster. We have a perfectly good toaster. Nothing wrong with it except that for his 1 1/2 bagles for breakfast, one slice is a bit cooler than the others since it has to get toasted separately. This is, of course, a great tragedy that is repeated every morning at breakfast time. After about 10 minutes of back and forth, I knew I was not going to get out of the Target unless one of two things happend: 1 - This would be an argument for the rest of the weekend or 2 - Just buy the stupid toaster. I elected to go ahead and get the stupid 4 slice toaster and spend $30 to keep peace in my house.

Chalk it up to the fact that it's the small things that end up mattering in a relationship. Or as Willie Geist says at the top of the hour every morning on his segment of Morning Joe (Scarborough) - News You Can't Use!

4 comments:

Chuck said...

Just for the record...Virginia Gas is cheaper than NC gas. I live close to the boarder (find Va. Beach, go west a wee bit, and you will see Chesapeake), so some of my friends live in NC, but work in Va and they wait to buy gas at the local WaWa. However, some say the roads are much better in NC.

One other way to look at the toaster: For less than a tank of gas, you bought a little slice (ouch) of happiness for Jim.

Martha said...

And this toaster works too well - this is the second day in a row I've dialed it down but still ended up with a burnt bagel!

You're right too, it was $30 and was a big deal to him. It was just not worth having an argument in the Target. The crazy thing is, we don't argue about much. I can't even remember the last time we had a disagreement before the toaster on Saturday. I am counting my blessings :).

Martha said...

I toasted my bagel with the old toaster this morning after burning yet another bagel with the new one.

This morning, the burned bagel went into the trash as I am through eating burned bagels.

Jim discovered the secret to the new toaster is to take it off of the bagel setting to toast them. This makes no sense to me, but then again, I am not an expert in the kitchen or with kitchen appliances.

Steve said...

Martha, this post just cracks me up! Oh, the things you argue about with your spouse. I tell Arlene that "these things are the spice that flavor a marriage."

As the great Toby Keith sings, "You don't stay with the one you can live with, it's the one you can't live without."

His and hers toaster sets. What a great Christmas gift idea!