Monday, January 14, 2008

Movies

Well I saw a couple of movies this weekend and I realize how behind I am on movies. We DVR'd The Lake House over the weekend, and it was really good. I was a mess at the end, but it had a good ending. I also watched Titanic again (most of it) as it was on tv. Two movies and Martha crying again - it doesn't seem to take much these days for me to get upset especially over sappy movies.

Also had dinner with some friends last night and we were discussing movies. I said that I hated Legends of the Fall. My friend liked it and couldn't figure out why I didn't. He thought it was because the girl kills herself at the end - at the end of that movie I was ready to do the same! Actually that movie frustrated me. There were two people who loved each other and should have been together but were not - not a good thing. Why would I watch a movie so I could be depressed and frustrated (isn't that what real life is for)? He agreed that the part where Brad Pitt leaves for a couple of years was stupid and I said yeah. And then he tells Susannah to marry another - WRONG. As I said, if I had been that girl I would have offed myself too. That was actually the part of the movie that made the most sense (scary)! I don't hate many movies, but that one has to be at the top of my list for being eighty shades of wrong.

I would like to see Atonement, but it is billed as a tragic romance. Why would anybody want to see a picture where the people that are in love are not together?

Maybe that's why I like V for Vendetta. Awesome plot movie and "Good guys win, bad guys lose". The Good Shepard is a great plot movie too as I saw that a couple of weeks ago. The only bad part about Good Shepard is that he doesn't marry the girl he loves and who loves him. Uggggggh.

5 comments:

Rick said...

Quick comment before leaving the house - why did you like Titanic, where the two protagonists fall in love and then don't get to be together? With Leo falling into the icy abyss (his best scene, imho). I liked it, but I like stories that don't follow the typical path. Same with In Good Company, where Topher didn't end up with the job or the girl - how was that for you?

Martha said...

I liked Titanic ok - would have rather they got off the boat together and that he did not die. I didn't see In Good Company, so I don't know about it. Actually I bawled when I saw Titanic. I liked the fact that she got away from her fiance even though she wasn't with Leo. So that was kind of mixed because it was good that she was away from the evil finace and he got what he deserved (jumped in the crash of '29). And I could relate to the pics with her and that she did all of the things that they planned to do together (the horses and roller coaster pics).

Chuck said...

I thought V was quite good, and want to see the Lake House. Give me a time travel story anyday. Now, I have to admit that I was highly medicated when I watched the good shepard, but the best part of that was those last little credits at the end.

Steve said...

My wife bases her opinion on a movie based on what happens to the characters in the end. If she really likes a character and said character is offed trajically in the end she'll hate it. It's taken me years to "turn this Titanic" around but I think I'm finally getting somewhere--you have to take the movie as a whole. Maybe that's the difference between how men and women watch movies. Women are much more character driven and men take the movie as a whole.

She'd never love the movie "Seven."

Martha said...

I think my problem is that I care too much. About everything and things that don't even really matter (like fictional stories). I guess that I do get into the characters and either relate to them or not.

And with that Legends of the Fall movie, ok if she is upset about Tristan and they aren't together then what is up with marrying the dopey brother? Yeah I would have been upset like she was too, but I sure wouldn't have married the brother and then hung around. If she was going to hang around, then don't marry dopey guy and just wait for Tristan. Again, too involved and care to much for something that doesn't matter/is not real!!!!