Friday, January 18, 2008

Addition to USC



So the next time you visit Columbia (or if you live there now) and go through downtown or the USC campus, take a spin through the Greek Village and take a look at the Kappa Kappa Gamma house. You can say that you know the person who is primarily responsible for making that house a reality. I spent about 3 years of my life working on that house from fundraising, planning, and managing the project during construction (as a client). It was a true labor of love as I did not want my chapter to be left out of sorority housing on campus.

Since most of y'all reading this are all male and I don't know if any of you were Greek, if your chapter does not have facilities that are comperable to other groups then your group is at a large disadvantage when recruiting new members and that is the lifeblood of any Greek organization. So as the campus was moving toward housing, I did not want KKG to be left out and worked very hard to make sure the chapter had a house. I am understandibly proud of it!

I did have some good help as there was an alum who was an interior decorator and we were able to do some great things with her donation of time and a discount as a retailer. We also had some alums who donated $$, and others who helped with the fundraising.

The best part was watching the construction during 2003. The framing was the most exciting part. I never realized what went into building something like that and I learned alot. Now I know what rebar is, what it is used for, and how expensive commercial kitchen equipment is!

Anyway, we opened it in the fall of 2003 and what an adventure that was. I had a great time and made some great friends along the way. I also learned how to do some planting and amateur landscaping, and I can feel confident in my own yard now on some small projects. I am posting one picture now, and I'll post more later as I have tons on my computer at home. If I ever win the lottery, I know I would love to volunteer for a living. I really miss working with the undergraduate women as it was very rewarding. I understand now why my dad enjoyed coaching sports as advising the girls was so rewarding - although there were times they could drive me crazy!

4 comments:

Chuck said...

I was in Phi Mu Alpha, but, seeing as that is a professional music fraternity, we did not get a house.

We did, however, have a closet in McMaster...and it rocked!

Steve said...

Very cool, Martha. I know who to call now when I want to build a house.

Martha said...

It was like building a normal one times 10! I am well prepared if I ever build my own.

KappaJulie said...

Dear Martha,

WOW, what a gorgeous house! I attended Province a few yrs. ago and remember, on the way to dinner, driving past what would be (at the time) "Greek row" and a USC sister pointing out the chapter's lot. Congratulations on such an amazing achievement!!

KLove,
Julie