Thursday, January 10, 2008

Sad week

Well I hate to post sad news, but yesterday we attended the second family funeral in less than 13 months. My mother's sister, Aunt Lib, died very early Monday morning on her 67th birthday.

While this was certainly sad, she had been in a nursing home/home health care type of situation for almost two years and had been unable to move her legs or one arm for some time. She had also struggled with mental illness most of her adult life, and while we are sad at her passing, her birthday gift this year was to go to heaven and be with Jesus which I think is the only thing she ever looked forward to in her life.

One very good thing about this is that I know that Grandma is even happier today that Lib is finally well and with her and Jesus. It would have been a terrible thing for Grandma to have outlived Lib and the thing that would have made yesterday truly unbearable would have been for Grandma to have to go through that.

So yesterday we went to Aiken and I saw several people that I had last seen at Grandma's funeral barely a year ago. My sister sang, and the service was very moving. The minister left us with words that Lib would ask total strangers - do you know Jesus? I am glad that I do, and I know that Jesus has healed her.

Peace be with you.

2 comments:

Steve said...

My prayers go out to you and your family, Martha.

Rick said...

Sorry to hear - doesn't matter the circumstances, death in the family is a tough deal. Take care.