Tuesday, January 15, 2008

New Car?

So before Christmas we decided to look at cars. Just thinking about them since I am driving my 1996 Toyota Celica that I bought new in May of '96. It has been paid off since 2001, and I have not really wanted anything else or to have another car payment. The problem is Jim can't stand my car and it is 12 years old. I love it, but he said that the only requirments for me getting another car is it has to be 4 door and has to be automatic - so where's the fun in that? And of course, he knows how I hate being told what to do. I just can't stand it. I don't know why.

So I drove a Camry Solara convertible. Yes it is a 2 door, but I am not going to buy a car based on the fact that we might decide to have a baby. Besides, if we do have a baby I am going to be the one putting it in and out of the car and not him. If he has it, then he will have his car and it has 4 doors. So if I am ok with it then why isn't he? I got all excited when the Solara comes with a sport package that allows you to use a manual transmission. But it was really lame - no clutch. You move it to the manual transmission and only shift a stick up or down to change gears. Totally not fun. Totally misses the point of shifting gears with a manual transmission. Plus, while I liked the V6, the gas milage is terrible. I am getting 400 miles on a tank in my Celica - which cost $37 to fill up yesterday - yikes! So I am getting really good gas milage now and I don't even want to get rid of my Celica.

So Jim picks at me and says that if I keep the Celica and get a new car, the Celica cannot be parked in the garage - not cool. So I think I have answered my own question about a new car - don't get one. Although I must admit I was getting lots of looks driving around with the top down (just to clarify the car's top was down not mine!) the day I drove it and I enjoyed that thoroughly. I also enjoyed the feel of a new car as it was great. I think I have decided to spend $300 and get my spoiler repainted since it needs it and that was the estimate. Not too bad I thought and definitely cheaper than a new car payment! Plus, my car is red, has a sunroof and while that is not as fun as a convertible it is better than nothing. There are also not a whole lot of Celicas on the road right now. I detailed it a couple of weeks ago and it is looking pretty sharp.

8 comments:

James said...

You were banned from the garage? I would think if you are going to spend the $$ on a new car, it ought to be one that strikes your fancy. I would either keep looking or keep the Celica, which is a great car and named after the actress Connie, I think.

Martha said...

We have a two car garage, so Jim said that the Celica would have to be parked outside and the new car and his car (a 2005 Highlander) would be in the garage.

And you are correct, if I spend the $ on the car I will get what I want and just deal with the husband flack.

Steve said...

If I remember correctly, you become quite attached to cars, so your great love for this Celica is not surprising. I remember your Blue VW Bug and how your eyes would flash in anger whenever any of us teased you about it. Looking back now, it was a very cool car and you were the smart one for keeping that thing.

If you ask me, I'd rather have an older car that has "style" and is paid for anyday. That's just me...

Martha said...

Ah, Steve you know me well. Yes, I do love my car and I did love that bug! It had character. I cried when I sold the first Toyota I had (the 2 door SR5 Corolla I got in High School). I bought my first Celica new in 1991, but I hated selling the Corolla. I never bonded to the first Celica, but I am attached to this one.

The first Celica I had was a coupe (it was also red), and the one I have now is a liftback. The liftback was one of my favorite things about my first Toyota and I realized how much I loved that in a car. The one I have now is also a 25th anniversary edition Celica and is number 1821 of 2500 made (it has a number plate in it). So I am very reluctant to give it up - mostly because I am attached to it.

The more things change, the more they stay the same - my husband picks at me about my car and he gets the anger flashes now!

Rick said...

What is your Celica's name? We bought a Mini back in July, and Jeeves is living large in the CAE parking garage until I get home this evening.

Martha said...

I just call it 'baby'. Like when I wash it and it looks beautiful I pause and say "Baby, mama loves you."

Rick said...

Nobody puts Baby in the corner.

Martha said...

ROTHFLMAO! I knew that was coming - I almost wrote it myself!!