Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Sunday Night

Well this is a little out of order, but Sunday nite around 11 Jim heard something in the front yard. We have this koi pond that the people that lived here before us built, and Jim thought this bird that has been after the fish lately got caught in the leaf net as something was hollering in the yard.

It turns out that a dog had fallen in :(. Jim got the flashlight and I got the net and he was finally able to fish this poor thing out of the pond. It was a little gray poodle, and we thought he was a stray because he was so thin. We dried him off with towels and brought him inside as he was yelping and crying so. We were really worried because that water is probably 35 or so degrees. Jim got him dry and I heated up one of those microwave body buddy things and got more dry towels to try and warm him back up. This dog was so pathetic because he could barely stand up. He also couldn't really see as Jim said his eyes were glassed over.

I did not know what to do, so I called animal control. If they had not come to pick him up and take him in, I was going to drive him to the Charlotte 24 hr vet and have him put down because he seemed to be really bad off. It was very upsetting.

The animal control guy came around 11:35 or so and we made sure that the dog would be cared for properly and not put down. He didn't have a collar or tag, and we just didn't know what else to do.

So after the dog leaves, I just bawled for about 20 minutes (I did not need to cry again). Jim was so good with the poor thing. He kept trying to soothe the dog and get him warm while I called around to figure out what to do and kept the warm towels coming and reheated the thing in the microwave. It hurt me so bad to see that little thing crying and in shock.

Yesterday morning, we saw some people walking down the street. They were looking for the dog. Turns out this poor little thing is 19, can't see, can barely hear or stand. They had been out looking for him about midnight or 12:30 with their other dog who picked up his scent around our pond. They expected to find him dead in the pond. We told them what we had done for the dog, and we called animal control so that they could go get him.

I was really upset that this poor little thing was so old and couldn't see or barely walk. It was so sad and no wonder he fell in the pond and was in such bad shape. Jim and I could not stand to see that poor little thing suffer. It took me another hour after the dog got picked up to wind down and go to sleep after I clogged up my sinuses again with tears. I thought about that dog on and off yesterday and it makes me so sad. I pray that the owner had enough sense to put the dog down if he was still suffering as that is very old for a doggie.

2 comments:

Steve said...

I guess when folks get that attached to a dog and have it for that long, it's like part of the family. Putting it to sleep just doesn't occur to them. I'm sure they appreciated you guys saving their dog, though. That was the right thing to do.

Martha said...

Yeah, my parents put Tyler down in May of 2003 and he was 16 1/2 and they probably waited 6 months too long. He could barely get out of his bed when they put him down so I understand wanting to keep the dog around. At some point though, it becomes selfish.

We were just so upset about that poor dog. I hated to see him whimpering and crying. At least we got him out pretty quickly, but it was just heartbreaking. I don't want to see any animal suffer. I can't even watch that emergency vet show.